Why do anything?

So the reason I have started this blog is because I've felt led by God to do so. This might sound a bit weird to you, but the Bible says that God's children are "led by the Spirit" (Romans 8:14), and I want Him to lead me. This is how it happened...

I was being prayed for one day by a guy from my church and he began to talk about me having influence through electronic media. A number of my preaches are online, and some articles I've written for various publications, but as he was praying about this, the thought came into my mind about blogging. To be honest, I didn't really want to do this, because I'm not sure that I've got enough thoughts (or discipline) to make this a worthwhile enterprise. But the thought wouldn't leave my mind. A few days later someone else was praying for me and talking again about having influence beyond Bedford. That was enough for me. Like the prevaricating/lazy person I can sometimes be, I didn't get around to starting this immediately, but I have now. My point though, is how and why I followed God...

A talk I've done a number of times on the Alpha course is about how God guides us. It gives five ways: the Bible, the Holy Spirit, wise counsel, circumstances of life, and common sense. When I'm making decisions, these are the kind of factors that I consider. I absolutely believe that God wants to guide me, and teach me to walk in His ways, so seeking His guidance and obeying it is a vital part of my life. I'm so grateful for the many ways in which He has guided me, and hopefully over time I'll post a few of them on here. But to the point, why start this blog? I felt through those two "coincidental" prayers the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and the Bible talks about making the most of every opportunity God gives us. So, for something as potentially trivial as writing a blog, that was enough for me.

But as important as guidance is as the motivation for my actions, there's something even more significant. It's too small a thing for God's people to do things simply because they are told to, God gives them a greater inspiration: to bring Him glory. The apostle Paul says "whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31) - and that's really my motivation: to show how great God is, at all times. There is no-one like Him: holy, perfect, all-knowing, all-powerful, loving, merciful, gracious. If this blog is to count for anything, it must demonstrate His greatness.

So here it is, may it give glory to God.